Summer vacation cancelled due to coronavirus concerns?
Here are some tips and recipes to help you have a great staycation at home!
Summer is the perfect time to add in more fresh fruits and vegetables. *It’s especially important during hot weather to drink half your weight in ounces of water. (Soda and fruit juice don’t count because they’re chock full of sugar.) Your cells use what you eat to rebuild and repair, so choose wisely. Your car wouldn’t run if you put sugar in the gas tank and neither will your body. *End rant.
Below are some of my favorite recipes for staying well and feeling good during these hot summer months.
1. Not thirsty? A great way to make water tastier and increase your fluid intake is to add fruit!
– Sliced citrus, chunks of watermelon, or strawberry slices are yummy
– Cucumber slices or fresh mint offer a refreshing change
– Decaffeinated herbal teas come in a variety of flavors
2. Want something with a little more kick? Try this Summer Sangria recipe. Everything in moderation, right? 😉
– 1 bottle Moscato wine (750 ml)
– 1/2 C brandy
– 2 C watermelon, cubed and cold
– 2 C Sweet Pineapple, cubed and cold
– 1 lime, thinly sliced
– lemon lime soda, for serving
Stir the wine and brandy together, add the fruit, then pour over ice and top with lemon lime soda.
3. Feeling hungry? Make this Mexican Chopped Salad and serve over a bed of brown rice or in a warm corn tortilla wrap.
– Spring mix salad greens, chopped small
– 1/2 head chopped romaine or leaf lettuce
– 6 Roma tomatoes or handful of grape tomatoes, diced
– 1 green pepper, diced
– 1/4 red onion diced
– 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
– 1 small jalapeño diced
– 1 cucumber, seeds removed and diced
– Catalina dressing
– Sliced avocado
4. Feeling hot and sweaty? Try this refreshing foot soak. It can also help with headaches.
– 2 quarts warm water in bowl
– 1/4 cup Epsom salts
– 3 drops lavender essential oil
– 3 drops peppermint essential oil
– Handful of marbles/ rub feet back and forth over to reduce soreness
5. Got a little more sun than you wanted? Make this cooling after sun spray:
– 6 ounces of water
– 4 drops peppermint essential oil
– 6 lavender essential oil
– 2 tablespoons jojoba oil, which is the most similar to the skin’s natural moisture
– 1 tablespoon honey
Store in spray bottle in the fridge. Shake well before using. Massage into skin.
6. Feeling… blah? Let’s not forget your mental and emotional health.
– Lay on the floor with your feet raised with a pillow
– Or try lying with your bum touching a wall and place your legs up the wall
– Turn all devices off
– Spread your arms out at your sides
– Close your eyes, empty your mind
– Breathe. Inhale slowly in to the count of four and exhale to the count of eight.
One day a week or more, turn off the news and read or play a game. Try one of these Free Yoga Classes Online. I also recommend Insight Timer, a free guided mediation app that can help improve sleep, anxiety, and stress.
Taking care of yourself, inside and out, is a great way to keep your immune system healthy. I hope you have a wonderful summer!
Linda Hoff, Owner
Sugar Spa STL