Everyone’s skin is sensitive in certain areas, especially the underarms and bikini area. And while you are unique in many wonderful ways, you are not special in regard to having sensitive skin. 😉
Having said that, the hair removal method you choose could definitely be contributing to your sensitive skin. For example, almost no one can shave with the 5 blade razors on the market today and not end up with an annoying rash.
Waxing is problematic, too. It can cause significant irritation and redness, and there’s a good chance you’ll get ingrown hair bumps due to the way the hair is removed. There’s also the possibility of cross-contamination infection, torn or burned skin, and even folliculitis.
Using depilatory creams can cause over sensitivity as well. Those chemicals are designed to melt hair at the skin level — you can only imagine what it does to your delicate skin — and are not recommended for use on your face or genitals.
Of course, the areas of your body that don’t have daily exposure to the elements are more delicate than your hands, legs, or arms. Other factors that can cause or worsen sensitive skin:
- Dry skin
- Scented lotions
- Tight underwear or leggings that can’t breathe; your lady parts need airflow.
- Athletic activities such as running or cycling can create friction and irritation in that area.
- Too much sweat, or not showering after exercise, can cause yeast infections.
- Deodorants, antiperspirants, and other personal hygiene products can have fragrance additives that irritate.
- Eczema or psoriasis can cause your skin to be more sensitive to products or procedures others aren’t.
So while everyone has sensitive skin, there are things you can do (or avoid!) to make sure it’s as healthy as possible. Treat your skin well and it will feel calm and comfortable. Ignore, abuse, or treat it harshly, and it will let you know how unhappy it is.
Keep reading to learn the Top 10 Reasons Women Choose Sugaring Over Waxing or Shaving!