When you’re in the business of hair removal, no question is too embarrassing. We’ve heard it all before! Whether you’re getting ready to try hair removal for the first time or just looking for tips to make your experience as pleasant as possible, we’ve got you covered. Below are some of the many sugaring FAQs, or frequently asked questions, that we often hear.
Don’t see your question here? Ask Linda!
Q. What IS sugaring?
Q. How do you use sugar to remove hair?
A. Our sugar paste is a sticky, taffy-like consistency made from just sugar, water and lemon juice. We choose from three different types of sugar paste of varying consistency depending on the body part being treated, and your individual hair type.
We use clean gloves each time to take a portion of sugar paste from the warming pot, which is body temperature and not hot. We never double dip, and there are no sticks or strips.
The sugar is applied by hand, against the grain of hair, and the warm paste seeps into the hair follicles to wrap around the hair shaft.
Then, we remove the sugar via a flicking motion in the same direction as hair growth to reduce ingrown hairs. This technique takes time and plenty of practice to master. After the treatment, the sugar is discarded in the trash.
Q. Why should I choose Sugar Spa STL for my hair removal needs?
A. Because we’re sugaring experts, and we provide professional services in a clean and comfortable spa that help you live a healthy life! Book your next appointment now.
Q. Does sugaring hurt?
A. All hair removal is somewhat uncomfortable, but Sugaring Hair Removal is way better than waxing! Most clients agree that they experience less than half the discomfort with sugaring. If you’ve never had hair removal before or its been a few months, you can expect a little more discomfort since we are pulling hair out by the root. But stick with it, your second treatment it will be a breeze! Plus, with regular sugaring appointments, your hair grows back thinner and lighter. It also results in permanent hair reduction for many people. Less hair means less discomfort!
Q. Can I use a topical numbing cream before my sugaring service?
A. You can, but it won’t do you much good. ? Those creams numb the top layer of skin, but they don’t reach below the surface where your hair is connected at the root. Also, we need clean, dry skin for best results so we’ll have to remove it before we begin your service anyway.
In short, numbing creams aren’t very effective for hair removal, and aren’t worth your time or money. The best way to reduce any discomfort during your sugaring appointment is to exfoliate and moisturize regularly.
Additionally, the more you sugar, the less hair you’ll have, and the more comfortable it will be to remove.
Q. How is sugaring different than waxing?
A. WAX removes hair in the opposite direction of growth which can be very painful, leads to follicle scarring, and can cause those nasty painful ingrown hair bumps everyone dreads. Wax contains resins and additives, which can cause irritation. And because wax is applied hot it can cause painful burns or tearing of sensitive areas.
Conversely, when we SUGAR we use a paste made from just sugar, water and lemon juice. Since there are no resins, it won’t stick to skin, just hair! It is removed in the direction of hair growth, and applied at body temperature. There is no chance of burns or tearing with sugaring.
In summary, there are three main differences:
- The sugar isn’t hot so there’s no risk of burning (and your skin won’t be bright red like after you get waxed!).
- Sugar paste doesn’t stick to live skin cells – just the hair and dead skin cells – which means less irritation. There’s no chance of losing a layer of skin like with waxing!
- The sugaring technique removes hair in the natural direction it grows. Waxing removes hair against the growth which is more traumatizing for skin.
Q. How does sugaring compare to shaving?
A. SHAVING is temporary hair removal process. You can expect to see and feel regrowth in as little as one day. Many people also develop irritation and bumps from shaving too close. Not to mention the cost of replacing expensive razor blades, and all the TIME you have to spend doing it!
SUGARING removes hair in the direction of growth and results last for 3 to 5 weeks. It removes more of the hairs without breaking them off under the skin for fewer unsightly bumps. Because the sugar paste is all natural (sugar, water and lemon juice) there is little to no risk for irritation. Gentle and effective, Sugaring Hair Removal is the best way to remove unwanted hair.
Q. How long does my hair have to be to get sugared?
A. Length of hair should be approximately 1/4″ or longer, which is about the size of a grain of rice. If you’ve been shaving, 2-3 weeks of growth is usually sufficient, but longer is fine, too. If you’ve been waxing or sugaring, you’ll want to wait 3-6 weeks in between your appointments without shaving.
Q. Any tips for a new client before I book my first appointment online?
Yes! There are three issues new clients sometimes experience when using MyTime to book online for the first time. These tips will help you avoid any potential pitfalls:
- New clients must create their own online account in MyTime so that the appointment is under the correct name. Please do not book appointments for other people.
- Make sure to click the COMPLETE BOOKING button at the bottom of the screen after selecting your day and time. (It’s purple on a desktop and blue on mobile.) If you do not receive an email confirmation immediately after scheduling, then your appointment was not saved in our system and we won’t be ready for you.
- If you have a discount voucher, please choose the Groupon/Living Social version of the service from the service list when scheduling your appointment.
Happy online scheduling! 🙂
Q. What can I expect from my sugaring appointment?
Most clients experience a slight stinging sensation or a little warmth in the area for a few minutes after the service is completed. You can also expect to see a few very tiny red dots (those are the pores the hair was removed from). They will fade within a couple of hours.
What you won’t experience is irritation, burning or any skin tearing, which is common with waxing. Sugaring is so gentle many people feel nothing once the treatment is over.
If you have had reactions to other types of hair removal in the past, please share this information with your service professional and they will advise you on the appropriate aftercare.
Q. Why should I get my bikini area sugared?
A. Here are 6 reasons!
- HEALTHY SKIN: Sugaring Hair Removal uses all natural ingredients (sugar, water and lemon juice). Less resins and additives on your skin means a healthier body and beautifully smooth skin.
- HAIR-FREE, BLEMISH FREE SKIN: Removing hair by waxing, shaving or epilation creams can cause bumps and irritation. Sugaring Hair Removal eliminates the main source of those problems by removing the hair the natural direction of growth, using only gentle hypoallergenic ingredients.
- RESULTS THAT LAST! Hair is removed the proper direction with Sugaring Hair Removal, pulling out the entire hair and root. For results lasting 4-6 weeks. Waxing removes hair backwards leading to breakage and quicker hair regrowth.
- NO LONG GROW OUT PROCESS: Sugaring Hair Removal can remove one week to ten days (1/8 inch – 1/4 inch) of hair growth. No hiding and waiting for your hair to be long enough to have it removed.
- THINNER AND FINER HAIR REGROWTH: Because Sugaring Hair Removal is able to extract the entire hair, it disrupts the growth of future hairs. Wait until you see how fine and soft the regrowth is.
- FIND THE SWEET SPOT: After your first Sugaring Hair Removal treatment, you will find that the process becomes less uncomfortable and faster with each additional treatment. To stay smooth and bump-free, we recommend maintaining your bikini area year-round.
Q. What's the difference between a Bikini and a Brazilian sugar service?
A. If you’re confused about what to ask for, we are here to help.
BIKINI: The hair outside the panty line on the sides is removed, as well as a strip off the top. This ensures you can visit the pool without needing a little skirt cover up or boy short bottoms.
MODIFIED BIKINI: This is a tighter version of a bikini. We remove more hair in towards the center and more off the top.
MODIFIED BIKINI+: Same as the modified bikini, we also remove hair from between the cheeks on the back side.
BRAZILIAN: Our most popular service, the Brazilian allows you to bare it all or leave a small triangle or strip. The decision is yours.
SPHINX: Includes the front all the way and strip in between the back cheeks. Go completely bare or leave a little something in front. You choose your style.
See below for a diagram to help you decide how much hair you want down there; the shaded area is where hair is removed:
Q. Do you offer Brazilians for men?
A. Yes, we do! Sometimes people refer to them as “Brozilians” or “Manzilians”. We offer the following hair removal services for our male clients…
BIKINI: The hair outside the groin on the sides is removed, as well as a strip off the top.
MODIFIED BIKINI: This is a tighter version of a bikini and includes the scrotum. We remove more hair in towards the center and more off the top as well.
MODIFIED BIKINI+: Same as the modified bikini, plus we remove hair from between the cheeks on the back side.
BRAZILIAN: Our most popular service, the Brazilian allows you to bare it all or leave a small triangle or strip. The decision is yours.
SPHINX: A full Brazilian plus we remove hair from between the cheeks on the back side.
Go completely bare or leave a little something in front. You choose your style. See below for a diagram to help you decide how much hair you want down there; the shaded area is where hair is removed:
Q. How do you make first-timers comfortable? I'm afraid I might cry!
Many people who have never been sugared before are a little apprehensive at first. We will walk you through the entire process, explain what you can expect and give you periodic breaks to allow you the time you need. Your comfort is of paramount importance to us.
We have clients who squirm and make little noises, but rarely does anyone cry! We ask that you are able to hold still and not flail your legs around for the safety of your service provider. Although very uncommon, screaming is not approproate since we are a spa.
We’re 99% sure you’ll be fine, but if you’re still nervous, please call or email and speak to us prior to scheduling an appointment.
Q. How should I prepare for my sugaring appointment?
A. The day of your appointment skin should be clean and dry, no lotion or oil. You may take an anti-inflammatory/pain reliever of your choice, and caffeine should be avoided.
- SHOWER & EXFOLIATE Make sure the area of treatment is fresh and clean
- LENGTH OF HAIR – Hair should be 1/8” or longer (1 week – 10 days of growth)
- NO LOTIONS OR OILS – No skin care products in the treatment area the day of service. No Antiperspirant or deodorant for underarm hair removal.
- SKIP THE GYM – before you get sugared! We want you to be squeaky clean.
- NO TANNING THE DAY OF OR DAY BEFORE – Sunburned skin is too sensitive to sugar.
- NO SELF TANNER – the sugaring process will remove your tan. Please wait until one day after your treatment.
- DISCONTINUE – Any products or medications that dry your skin out at least 48 hour prior. This will prevent irritation and allows hairs to be removed more easily.
- CONTRAINDICATIONS – If you are using an external medication prescribed for facial acne, discoloration or aging such as Differin, Retin-A, ProActive, Avita, Benzoyl Peroxide, Salicylic Acid, or Glycolic Acid it is advisable to discontinue use for 4-7 days prior to hair removal. ACCUTANE is an internal medication and dries out the entire body. You must be off Accutane for 6 months prior to hair removal on any body area.
Q. Will I get ingrown hairs from sugaring?
A. Because sugaring removes hair in the direction of growth you will be MUCH less likely to experience ingrown hairs than you would be with waxing or shaving. While having extremely dry skin can contribute to the formation of hair bumps, we offer a variety of manual exfoliating products as well as granular scrubs and lotions to keep your skin smooth and bump free.
Q. What should I do after my sugaring appointment?
A. Exfoliate and moisturize, but do not apply deodorant, makeup, or body lotions for 12 hours following treatment. Other considerations:
- Skip the workout until tomorrow
- Keep your skin clean; avoid deodorant or antiperspirant until the next day
- Wait 2 days then start exfoliating during showers
- Apply a daily body lotion, especially after exfoliation
- Avoid any tanning for 24 hours
Q. How long should I wait between sugaring appointments?
A. The ideal time to return for your next sugaring treatment is as soon as your next hair growth phase appears and is about 1/8’ – 1/4” long. This is typically 3 to 5 weeks for most body areas. The time is a bit shorter for underarm and facial hair removal, which is approximately 1-3 weeks depending on individual growth rate. Coming in on a regular schedule will allow you to maintain your soft, smooth hassle-free skin! Plus, you can save with our Sweet Spot program when you come in for the same sugaring service every 3 – 5 weeks!
Q. Can I get sugared if I'm pregnant?
Q. Can I get sugared if I have sensitive skin?
Q. Can I get sugared if I have a tattoo?
Q. When is the best time to get sugared?
A. Ideally, women should schedule bikini area sugaring treatments before or after your period. Treatments can be (and are!) performed during menstruation, but it can be more uncomfortable due to increased circulation in that area.
Also, it is not advisable to get sugared after a spray tan since the sugaring process will remove it. We recommend waiting to tan at least one day after your treatment.
Lastly, we do not recommend getting sugared if the area is sunburned. Even though the sugar paste doesn’t stick to skin, it would not be a pleasant experience for you!
Q. What happens to the sugar paste after the treatment is over?
A. We throw it away! We use clean gloves each time we take a portion of sugar paste from the warming pot, and after use it is discarded in the trash. We never double dip, and there are no sticks or strips to deal with since the sugar is applied and removed by hand.
Q. What is the difference between a professional microdermabrasion and at-home self treatments?
A. Microdermabrasion done in a spa is performed by a licensed trained professional using a professional grade machine. A stronger machine provides a deeper more precise exfoliation. While home dermabrasion kits are available, they act more like a scrub and can be either too harsh or basically ineffective.
Products you can purchase for home use are designed to prevent personal injury – i.e. they are only going to give a gentle exfoliation. TIP: if you are not a trained professional you can do some serious damage to your skin. Think back to other things you’ve tried to do to yourself at home.
Q. How often should I receive microdermabrasion?
A. It will depend on your individual skin care needs and goals, but 1-2 weeks apart is typically recommended to see the best results. We recommend a series of 4-6 treatments; then every 1-2 months as maintenance to keep your skin healthy and smooth.
Ready to schedule?
New clients receive 40% off their first service. Check out Our Promotions for other ways to save!